The beauty of Southern Portugal
Whether you travel through Portugal on tracks only accessible with a 4×4 or stay on tarmac in a regular car, Portugal is always beautiful. Together with our Portuguese partner Dream Overland we have developed an e-roadbook for an on-road journey through the south of Portugal. It takes you from Lisbon through the Alentejo and Algarve, allowing you to travel at your own pace to discover this magnificent part of the country.
José Almeida, our partner in Portugal, knows the region like the back of his hand. He has given all his expertise, knowledge and love of the country to create this e-roadbook. We show you hidden villages, excellent restaurants, great hotels, gorgeous towns, scenery you would not want to miss.
- Your journey starts in Lisbon, then leads you through Alentejo and Algarve to give you a wonderful taste of Southern Portugal.
- It takes nine days to cover everything we have described.
- The e-roadbook acts as a virtual, highly knowledgeable tour guide.
- It contains loads of points of interest with descriptions of each.
- It suggest hotels and restaurants.
- All accommodations are Clean & Safe certified .
Your holiday starts in Lisbon, one of the few European capitals with both a river and a coastline. Lisbon is a historical city full of stories to tell. Discover this city full of authenticity where old customs and ancient history intermix with cultural entertainment and hi-tech innovation. Lisbon is ageless and famous for its hospitality and the family-like way it welcomes visitors.
Your roadbook contains a map with all the highlights, a selection of excellent restaurants and a suggested walk to lap it all up.
Exploring the Alentejo
South of the River Tagus is the Alentejo, Portugal’s largest region, known for its endless plains peppered by cork and olive trees. In the Alentejo, you travel in history. Its fine heritage is easy for you to discover with the help of our e-roadbook. You will experience the magic of the Alentejo in the villages and towns we lead you to, while driving through a landscape that that fills your heart with joy.
You will see the influence the Arabs had during their occupation for nearly five centuries until the late 1400s. You will feel as if you have been tele-transported to northern Africa, just by looking at the landscape, the architecture, tasting the food, getting to know some of the traditions or listening to the traditional music.
There’s also a huge number of walking routes if you want to go for a hike. If you like to taste a good wine, the Alentejo is home to some of the best in Portugal.
We have created an interesting route from Lisbon to the Alentejo and two beautiful round trip in the Evora area. Both take you to the best places through fascinating scenery.
Exploring the Algarve
We are sure you have already heard about the Algarve. Perhaps you know its magnificent beaches. Maybe you read about its typically Mediterranean cuisine. Or you may have heard about its history, culture and friendliness.
But there may be an Algarve that you haven’t discovered yet: the Algarve of someone who lives here. That’s what this roadbook offers you. Besides a wealth of information, it contains an itinerary from Alentejo to Algarve and two round trips in the Algarve that give you much more than the traditional pictures of sun and sea.
You can simply order the e-roadbook and take care of everything else yourself. It is a virtual guide that you download onto your smartphone or tablet (GPS receiver required – you know you have one if you can insert a SIM-card; the SIM-card itself is not necessary). It contains all the information you need for a perfect journey in the area:
- Nine-day trip, assuming three days each in Lisbon, Alentejo and Algarve.
- The itinerary with point-to-point directions.
- A detailed map.
- Lots of points of interest with information about what makes them interesting.
- Information about hotels and restaurants.
- The roadbook can lead you to the points of interest, hotels and restaurants even if they are not directly on the itinerary.
You book your flights, accommodations and so on yourself, giving you all the flexibility and independence you wish.
Overview of the itinerary
Click on the image to enlarge:
How to obtain
If you like to have this e-roadbook, do the following:
- Add it to your shopping cart by clicking the button at the top of this screen.
- Go to Checkout and complete all the fields on the form.
- Choose your method of payment and pay.
We then get a message and create a user account for you. This may take a day.
You receive an email, with links to the Apple Appstore and Google Playstore. Click on the link appropriate for you and download Roadbook for Discovery app.
After you have downloaded the app, you log in with your username and password. Confirm that you wish to download the trip, which then happens automatically. You’re ready to go.
The e-roadbook is in English.
Clean and safe
We do our utmost to ensure that our guests are safe by adhering fully to the rules issued by the Portuguese health authorities. We ourselves and all local partners we work with, have been certified to comply with the standards set in those rules.
Another option: everything organised
If you like us to unburden you from the organisation, we can take care of it. The only thing we cannot do is book your flights. Our service includes:
- Ten-day trip, three days each in Lisbon, Alentejo and Algarve.
- Nine overnight stays in good hotels, agriturismo and B&Bs, including breakfast.
- Rental car for six days, comprehensive insurance.
- The e-roadbook described here.
- 24/7 support in case you need assistance.
- Certified Clean & Safe accommodations.
Other meals and flights not included.
Click here to see our offer.